Sunday 20 December 2015

Sheet Mask Review : The Face Shop Real Nature Red Ginseng



Its been a while since I've done a mask post, to be honest I haven't used a mask in ages because my nose has been blocked and masks just felt too smothering.  

This mask is from a mid-year haul I did from RoseRoseShop.  I have had samples of Red Ginseng creams that I really liked, however the creams were quite expensive (I think around $58 for 30ml) so I thought I would try these from The Face Shop - I generally like their masks and haven't had any allergic reactions or major irritations from them so far.




This mask came in a 3 pack and worked out to AUS$3.74 - so $1.25 a mask.  Which even with shipping is a third of what you might pay for a single Face Shop mask in some shops here in Australia.

I didn't have a plan for which mask to wear - it was a spur of the moment idea and thought I might as well try something I haven't before whilst my skin is in a happy place.  The mask is means to be a hydrating mask so better for normal to dry skin.




Red ginseng itself has compounds in it (ginsenosides) that are anti-inflammatory and have some anti-oxidants in them.  This makes red ginseng useful for dermatitis, dry, inflamed skin.  Wooo! Because of these ginsenosides the collagen levels in skin are also boosted, which makes the skin have more moisture and look smoother.


The mask itself is the usual heavy cotton but this time instead of being plain old white, it was a pale rusty colour.  My understanding is that this is from the red ginseng and the cocoa present.  I cant tell you if there was any smell to this because I have lost 95% of my sense of smell from Imuran.




The mask in the packet did not come out sopping wet like the Aloe and Rice masks do, however there was still a good 10ml of essence in the bottom of the packet after I took the mask out.  I spread the rest of the essence on my arms and legs and they seem to have benefited from it.


The mask was nice and easy to wear and did not tear when I unfolded it.  It also did not make my face tingle, sting, itch or burn during wearing - I had patch tested it earlier and that seemed fine but I have had masks that are ok in patch tests and then with the mask itself, irritate my skin.  Around the 20min mark it started to feel dried out and I took it off.  Its summer over here and I had the Air Con blasting so that might be a reason why it didn't last 30mins like the Aloe and Rice masks tend to do.


The next morning my skin was not in any way inflamed or such, in fact it looked the opposite, clear and smooth.  Not dewy or brightened - I didn't expect that because that was not the purpose of the mask.  However when I cleaned my face with micellar water I noticed the cotton pad came away with some of the same colour as the essence!  Not overly disturbing, and nice to know that the colour didn't sink into my skin.




I have two left of these and there not a mask that has "wowed" me, so I dont have it on my list to repurchase.  But I do plan on looking for more Red Ginseng masks to try - what ones would you recommend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment