Wednesday 21 October 2015

ColorStay? ColorCling... (Revlon ColorStay Makeup for Normal to Dry Skin)

Sometimes I stray from my Rimmel Foundation.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
This was a purchase where I was "Oh look I'm an adult, gonna buy a different foundation yeah (and 40% off)".
I also thought - Revlon, good brand, nice to branch out to some other brands maybe.  I really like the Revlon Eye Primer - that provides great prep for my eyeshadows.  And their Photoready primer is also quite nice.




This is the shade Ivory .  Pretty much the palest shade in the Revlon range - yet too pale for me now, my skin tone has changed due to the inflammation from my allergies.  First world issues.  Most of the other Revlon foundations I tested were just too yellow for me, I cant remember what the second palest shade was like.  I think I might have a neutral skin tone but again, allergy/eczema flareups can mess with my skin tone, so I try to match my chest.

I did some research on this and actually thought it would be good for my skin because the name says "Normal to Dry Skin".  It should also say "if you have any slightest bit of dryness it will cling and clump and make your foundation look like a cracked surface".

Classy line there - shows the tonal difference clearly...


So far I have not been able to make this work, but I will endeavor with some primers and maybe even hack it with some oils.  Because it sets dry, powdery dry.  Which only serves to emphasise the dry and crepey skin I have around my eyes at the moment.

I have a specific gene mutation that is linked to dry skin/eczema and is characterised by extra lines on the top of the hand and the palm of the hand.  Y'all can SEE the lines clearly on my hands with this foundation.  Imagine that on your face.

I found this really hard to blend or buff out with both my brush and makeup sponge.  It was a very streaky application.  Also once it sets, it sets and trying to add more layers doesn't work well.

I feel a bit let down by this foundation.  The formula does not moisturise at all and seems to actually suck the moisture out from my skin in a remarkably short time.  Within a half-hour I had the foundation doing the highly unattractive "cling to dry patches" that my Rimmel foundation does after 6 or so hours.  Also the lack of being able to layer nicely - I prefer to do several thin layers of foundation to build up my coverage.

Oh and I'm annoyed at myself for not picking up that there is Salicylic Acid in the ingredients list until now.  Stupid me - I would be interested to see how this works on oily skin, despite being marketed as "Normal to Dry".

What foundations have let you down?

1 comment: