Wednesday 15 April 2015

Brand Review : Avene

My first foray in Avene was the thermal water sprays.
I got the smallest size (50ml) in a goody bag from somewhere.  I stuck it in my handbag and grew quite attached to it over summer.

Then it was on sale at Chemist Warehouse where it was get two of the 300ml for $20.  I bought 4 in total. One lives at work in my desk and the others get used in my routines, especially if I have a major flareup and I don't want to use an acidic toner (the thermal wate rhas a pH of 7.5 - neutral).  I also use the thermal water to soak masks when my skin feels dry (similar to the cloth masks from Face Shop etc).


The one at work is used most often to refresh my makeup if my skin starts to feel dry.


From the Avene (Australia) website: "Avène Thermal Spring Water is classified in the "water with low mineral content" group (low-mineralised) with a calcium bicarbonate and magnesium profile. Amongst its main characteristics: high silicate levels, low sodium levels, a calcium-magnesium ratio of 2 (expressed in mg/l of minerals) and a wide variety of trace elements."


Source : Avene Center website

The Avene Center website states that these minerals help with the epidermis and restoring the skins barrier.  As well as having anti-inflammatory benefits.

As a scientist I am aware of the placebo effect, but I cant figure out how I would get a placebo effect for skin care.

So it works.  Otherwise I would not be waxing lyrical about this range.

The items below are the 4 main products from Avene that I use on a regular basis.  They are all gentle and pretty much do as they claim.  
I tested them all out before I bought them, because I am paranoid. And my skin is a brat.  A high maintenance brat.  

They are a pricier product, but I tend to buy them when Chemist Warehouse has a sale on, or Priceline.  However most of the time its a better deal at Chemist Warehouse. I would assume that other chemists would have Avene as well.  Price point would be similar to that of L'Oreal Paris' skincare products.





I've spoken about the cleanser before in an earlier post.  Its not a foaming cleanser, I would say it produces a very fine lather when used on damp skin .  This is also described as a "tissue off" cleanser so you don't have to use water to remove it, thus allowing the actives to soak in more.  I tend to wipe it off anyway because of how I have structured my routine.  Its not the best at removing waterproof mascara or matte finish lipsticks, so I double cleanse in the evening.


The Skin Recovery Cream Calming Formula is a what I use if my skin is looking red.  I usually layer it on several times over the day if possible.  It is a light cream so doesn't feel greasy when applied generously.  I'm now onto my second tube of this product.


I really have rubbed it on the right!

Ingredients: Avene Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua). Paraffinum Liquidum. Squalane. Dimethicone. Glyceryl Stearate. Butylene Glycol. Glycerin. Behenyl Alcohol. Ozokerite. Benzoic Acid. Butyrospermum Parkii Butter. Carbomer. Chlorphenesin. Phenoxyethanol. Tetrasodium Edta. Triethanolamine. Xanthan Gum.



Cicalfate Restorative Cream is a thick soothing cream - Zinc Oxide does this task. It is used to help make a barrier for inflamed and dry skin. I use this as an alternative to a cortisteroid cream if I can. Its not a cream you can put on and then apply makeup like the Recovery Cream.  This is thick and occlusive but it works a treat.  If I had to choose which one of these products I would pay full price for, it would definitely be this one.

On the right is about the thickness I use as a top layer

Ingredients: Avene Aqua, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2 Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose Octasulfate, Aluminium Stearate, Cera Alba, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrytalline Wax/Cera Microcristallina, Zinc Sulfate.


I might add more of their range to my collection, I have been looking at the serum and the masks for sensitive skin.  Keeping an eye out for sales :D  


Avene is clever in that they make themed "packs" of their products.  So I picked up the Sensitive Skin pack which contained a 50ml Thermal Water, the cleanser and the Recovery cream.  This is a much more cost effective way of buying several products.  .


I find it really weird taking photos of my arm, anybody else find this?

No comments:

Post a Comment