Saturday 4 July 2015

Holy Hyaluronic Acid, Batman

Such science


*sparkles*

I.Love.Hyaluronic.Acid.

I didn't get onto the bandwagon until this year, but hot damn, so glad I did!
I have very dry skin - even when its nice and clear I'll still get a tight, sore feeling if I don't moisturise in the morning.  Usually I'll feel uncomfortable by 10am.

I started off with Indeed Labs Hyaluron serum.  I bought one tube when it was 40% off at Priceline to try it properly (full price is $35 from Priceline), when glamaco had it for $15 I snapped up 5 tubes, and wish I bought more).  The serum itself is a clear and odorless gel that spreads quite far.  I usually use a pea sized amount which does my face, neck, decolletage and any leftovers I rub into my hands. This product is designed to be used after toner and before moisturising.  It in itself is not a moisturiser but enhances the ability for moisture to penetrate the upper layers of the skin.



I tend to use this serum in my PM routine, in summer I also use it in my AM routine, but in winter when I'm at work I don't use it in the AM routine.  I found that because the air at work is much drier and the change from a warm classroom to the cold outdoors amplified the drying out effect that can happen when using hyaluronic acid without enough moisture.

Then the obsession began.  I found that the Cetaphil Restoraderm had hyaluronic acid (sodium hylyuronate) in it so that joined my collection.  The Restoraderm is a body lotion and works well in summer.  Also acquired some Mizon ampoule samples to compare to the Indeed Labs.

  





I found at Daiso a hyaluronic acid ampoule which I will experiment with by adding to moisturiser and a hyaluronic acid spray.  I have been using the spray (pump bottle) by alternating it with the Indeed Labs serum and both seem to have the same effectiveness.




I bought some samples of the Hada Labo Hyaluronic Lotion (heavy and light) from Sasa.com and I use that at night on my dry skin on legs and arms, followed up by Nivea Cream and the results have been great.  I think this combo is more effective in winter than the Cetaphil Restoraderm.



I may calculate the cost per ml between the Indeed Labs serum and the Hada Labo heavy lotion because they are both very effective.  However I have to include the shipping cost for both of them because I cant see myself willing to pay the $30 or so at Priceline when I know I can buy it cheaper online and that's including shipping.

I know that all of these serums have different ingredients in them, and I'm not after the product with the most/best sized molecules of hyaluronic acid in them, but I want to compare them all to see what my skin likes best.  Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), or even Your Moisture May Vary.  Different external factors will also have an influence on how well these perform.  The Indeed Labs serum was excellent in summer, but not so great in winter which I why I'm trialing different types and combinations of products.

Now this is just a topic application of the acid itself, so it only penetrates the very top layers and keeps moisture (essentially water) there as well which is why the skin is hydrated.  This is a highly effective humectant (humectants hold moisture), but you do need a product to then trap that moisture onto your skin which is your moisturiser and an occlusive layer like vaseline or Dermeeze for really dry skin on top of that.  Otherwise the hyaluronic acid can pull the moisture OUT of your skin (which is what happens in winter to me like I mentioned above).

What skincare technology or active ingredient have you become obsessed with?

No comments:

Post a Comment