Tuesday 24 November 2015

Brand Review : Boe Cosmetics



Boe Cosmetics has been in my makeup periphery for a while now, it's exclusive to Big W and generally when I plan to make a makeup purchase its from Priceline points, give me allllll the points) or Chemist Warehouse (50% Off twice a year sales);

But you know, one does wander into Big W, and with a makeup sale on, the lure was strong.
Also there was a person at the makeup counter (need to purchase makeup items through that specific counter at my local BigW).

I'd inspected the Boe items before and decided with $3 off it would be a good day to sample.  They have two range - the older range is $2 per item, therefore only the newer range was $3 off.

So I had uploaded this post earlier today and was unhappy with my photos and it had been bugging me all day, so I've retaken the majority of them.  There's a few with the white background fr clarity - such as the ingredients list.   But I'm happier with these new photos, its amazing what a change in time and location can do to a photo.
From the new range - Boe Professional - I bought foundation, concealer and a lipstick
From the old range - matte lip paint, mascara and eyeshadow pencil.



Foundation - only 3 colours and I bought Fair.  Nice shade for "Fair" - I've found that some brands lightest tone is damn pale, but their second lightest tone is what I would call nearly tanned by my skin colour (looking at you Models Prefer and Savvy).  Also a nice feature of the bottle is that it is an airless pump, so the inner bottom pushes the foundation up and minimises waste.  Nice. Clever feature that more brands should incorporate.  Also this foundation has a tiny ingredients list and one of the main ingredients is shea butter which is great for dry, sensitive or eczema prone skin.  I really really like this foundation and have been reaching for it more than my Rimmel!



Seriously - for a liquid, heck even a powder, foundation this is a tiny list.
(I'm tempted to go and get the BB cream - if the colour shades are similar. And the ingredients play nice)

Concealer - again three tones, but the light is VERY light, might go back and try the medium shade.  Drier than the foundation.  Could be good for matte highlighting.

Even thought it has Mica it doesn't actually seem that shiny...


Quick comparison of the two shades - not blended, then blended.  The foundation looks almost too dark, but when blended out it matches my skin tone on my face/neck nicely.


Due to the high level of shea butter in the foundation this is very easy to blend, it looks shiny in the photo on the right above but it settles down as the shea butter sinks into your skin.  You can layer powder products over this foundation and they don't look clumpy - just allow a few minutes for the foundation to settle.

Lipstick - this is from the "Supershine" range (they also have a Matte, Diamond Finish and Colour Last). I chose the nude colour in "Empress". It spoke to me more than the others which were heavy in the reds and pinks which I have plenty of.  This shade I didn't actually have.  Also - "Empress", enough said.  Longevity isn't fabulous however - this requires maintenance throughout the day.



From the original range:

Matte Lip Paint - so tiny! Which is good because other ones are so big I doubt I'll finish them (like the Velourlips).  Fabulous pigmentation, stays on really well through drinking, but not eating.  Awkward to apply - its a plastic tip that you use to push the colour around - I will probably use a lipbrush from now.  It applies sticky but dries and mattes quite quickly.  And lasts and lasts and lasts - I tried micellar water to remove it, then cream cleanser, the oil cleanser.  This pigments is strong - so go for the oil cleanser (or even baby oil, olive oil) to remove it initially.

5 cm long tube!!


Eyeshadow stick - nicely pigmented, also can be sharped so you're not just getting the tip of colour (like on of the NYX eyeshadow pencils and Face of Australia Kohl's).  Very creamy but sets quickly after you apply so you need to work it immediately  It can be sheered out or applied thickly.

 



Mascara - the brush is a bit strange, chunky spiral bristles.  It applies really nicely though for a $2 product. I'm not 100% sold on this.  I've worn it twice and I think it may be irritating my eyes.  However its also peak hayfever season so I dont know.  I'll probably try it a few more times before I make a final judgement.








I've got swatches on my hand below so you can get a better idea of pigmentation and colour.
On the left side top: Eyeshadow stick #225
                    middle: Velvet matte lips (no name or number)
                    bottom: Super shine lipstick in Empress

On the right side : top half is blended out Foundation in Fair (now looks dewy as it has set)
                            : bottom half is blended out Concealer in Fair



Overall the products are nice for daily wear, or for keeping in your handbag as touch-up items.  The foundation is a win - I could possibly repurchase.  The matte lips is fabulous and will last for ages, I will look at the other colours as well because for $2 its a bargain for the quality.  

What Boe Products have you used and been impressed by?  Or have been let down by?


1 comment:

  1. I have been unable to purchase the mascara at any Big W, is it no longer available?

    ReplyDelete